A first aid box is a collection of supplies and equipment for use in giving first aid. It is recommended that all kits are in a clean, waterproof container to keep the contents safe and aseptic. Kits should also be checked regularly and restocked if any items are deficient, damaged or are expired out of date.
On Indian railway, the First Aid Boxes for Track Men shall be Governed by Para 702 (6) of IR MM Vol II Chapter VII. This shall consist of :-
1. Gauze roller bandages(7.5 cm x 4 Mtr) - 10 Nos.
2. Triangular bandages( 130 cm x 90 cm x 90 cm ) 4 Nos.
3. Tab Paracetamol 20 in strips.
4. Chlorampshenicol eye applicaps- 10 in plastic container.
5. Antiseptic cream 25 Gm tube 1 No.
6. Sterile adhesive strip dressing standard size 10 Nos.
7. Sterilised ?rst ?eld dressing in sealed polythene 12 cm x 8 cm - 2 Nos.
8. Safety pin set of 10 - 1 Set.
First Aid box for gangmen shall be an aluminum or metallic box, which is not likely to be rusted. It should be sturdy. Wooden boxes wherever used may be retained till they are fit for use. Their replacement should be by aluminium boxes only.